Taking Your Pet Abroad - The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)
Pet Travel Regulations
Pet Travel regulations enable you to avoid putting your cat or dog into quarantine when you travel to certain countries (most countries in Western Europe & Scandinavia). To qualify for exemption from quarantine, you must meet various conditions relating to your pet´s health.
NOTE: Please note that the rules for pet travel can differ from country to country and you should check the latest government advice before travelling.
If you are travelling from an EU country into the UK, dogs and cats are covered by the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS). Under PETS, your pet must have met the following criteria:
- Your pet must have a pet passport issued by a veterinary surgeon
- Your pet must be microchipped
- Your pet must have been vaccinated against rabies and be fully up to date with boosters against rabies (a three week period must have passed between the vaccination and the date of travel)
- Your dog must be treated against tapeworm not less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours before the dog's arrival in the UK
For further information please feel free to contact us or DEFRA via their PETS helpline on 0870 241 1710
- take your pet for a health check by your vet in advance of your journey. Get advice from your vet on pregnant animals.
- speak to the carrier in advance to ascertain the conditions that your pet will travel in and to ensure that you have the required paperwork.
- do not use sedatives unless advised by a vet.
- give your pet only a light meal about 2 hours before travel.
- check with the carrier that your pet will have full and constant access to fresh water.
- use a container which enables your pet to stand, sit and lie down in a natural position, and to turn around easily. The container should contain absorbent bedding and provide ample ventilation. A familiar toy can help your pet get used to the container.
- ensure that your pet will not be exposed to extreme temperatures.
- try and match your pets sleeping patterns by travelling overnight where possible